2023 MWCABC Cash for the Cure Raffle – Official Rules
A. General Terms
1) This raffle is sponsored by the Manhasset Women’s Coalition Against Breast Cancer, Inc. (“MWCABC”). Only official raffle drawing tickets will be drawn. No facsimiles permitted. Void where prohibited or restricted by law. All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply. Winner must be at least 18 years of age. Winner may be required to complete an affidavit of eligibility/publicity release which must be returned within 14 days of notification or prize will be forfeited and an alternative winner will be selected. Winners are responsible for any taxes, and/or similar fees associated with receiving the prize. Prizes over $5,000 are subject to withholding tax at a 25% rate, which will be collected by MWCABC when the prize is accepted by the winner. Other restrictions may apply.
2) MWCABC, the sponsor of this raffle, is offering the opportunity to become eligible for a drawing to win one of three prizes, a cash prize of $10,000 (Grand Prize), $2,000 (Second Prize) or $1,000 (Third Prize). There will be 500 raffle tickets sold for $100 each. 100% of the net proceeds of the raffle benefit MWCABC, a 501(c) (3) nonprofit corporation. The purchase of the ticket is not tax-deductible as a charitable contribution. MWCABC Cash for the Cure raffle is a nonprofit raffle registered with the New York State Racing and Wagering Board, License # GC28-202-170-08861.
3) Raffle tickets will be sold starting August 15, 2023. Tickets may be sold by MWCABC, its board members and membership at various physical locations. Subject to availability, tickets may be purchased in person until Saturday, September 30, 2023, at 11:59 PM. Tickets are also available by mail and can be obtained from MWCABC at P.O. Box 1007, Manhasset, NY 11030. Mail order tickets may be purchased by personal check or money order made payable to MWCABC and must be postmarked by no later than Friday, September 22, 2023. Subject to availability, upon receipt of payment for mail-in purchase, MWCABC will fill out stub(s) and enter ticket purchasers in the 2023 MWCABC Cash for the Cure raffle. Receipts will be sent to valid mail-in purchasers. If ticket(s) receipts are lost in mail, MWCABC will resend a copy of receipt if so requested. MWCABC is not responsible for mail-in purchase requests that are lost in mail transit or otherwise not received in time for the drawing.
4) The winners will be chosen by random drawing from the pool of all entrants on Sunday, October 1, 2023, starting at approximately 9:15AM at Mary Jane Davies Green located at 220 Plandome Road, Manhasset NY 11030. Winners will be announced at the drawing. Except as provided in Paragraph 1 of “Awarding of Prizes” section, only three tickets will be drawn. Entrants need not be present or watch the drawing to win.
B. Eligibility and Limitations
1) This raffle is only open to U.S. Residents at least 18 years of age; is void where prohibited or restricted by law; and is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations. This raffle shall be governed by the laws of the State of New York. MWCABC shall make all decisions related to the raffle in its sole discretion. By participating, you agree to be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of MWCABC and waive any right to claim ambiguity in the raffle operation or Official Rules.
2) By participating in the raffle, you agree to release and hold MWCABC and its directors, officers, employees and agents, harmless from any and all losses, damages, rights, claims, and actions of any kind in connection with the raffle, including from your winning or use of any prize. MWCABC makes no representations or warranties, expressed or implied, about the raffle or any prizes awarded.
3) Any or all of your entries will be disqualified at the sole discretion of MWCABC if you attempt: (a) to enter the raffle through any means other than as described in these Official Rules; or (b) to disrupt the raffle, circumvent the terms and conditions of these Official Rules, or in any way tamper with the raffle. If either of the above occurs, MWCABC has the right to remedy any such action, disruption, or circumvention, and to seek damages from you to the fullest extent permitted by law.
4) MWCABC is not responsible for error, omission, interruptions, deletion, defect, delay in operations, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to or alterations of entry materials, or for malfunctions of any kind, or inaccurate or failure to receive entry information or any combination thereof. MWCABC is not responsible for any entries that are late, misdirected, incomplete, or altered. MWCABC reserves the right to cancel the raffle if the registration process and/or raffle become corrupted or fail of their essential purpose.
5) MWCABC cannot give advice regarding income tax consequences or deductibility with respect to the raffle ticket purchases or any raffle winnings.
6) MWCABC members, volunteers and board members are eligible to enter contest and win the raffle.
7) If, for any reason, the administration, security, fairness, or integrity of the raffle has been compromised, MWCABC reserves the right, exercisable at its own discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify, or suspend the raffle and refund all proceeds. The official rules may be amended by MWCABC in its sole discretion, subject to any applicable law.
8) The IRS has taken the position that amounts paid for chances in raffles, lotteries or similar drawings for valuable prizes are not gifts, and consequently do not qualify as deductible charitable contributions.
C. Awarding of Prizes
1) Winners will be drawn and announced live at the date, time and location stated in paragraph 4 of the “General Terms” section; provided that in the event MWCABC is for any reason unable to conduct the drawing at the scheduled time, a later drawing will still be valid. At MWCABC’s sole discretion and option, the date for the drawing may be extended by no more than thirty (30) days. Only one (1) prizewinner per household will be permitted. If a prizewinner’s name or household is drawn more than once, a new raffle ticket will be drawn until an eligible name is chosen. The winner will be notified via the electronic mail address, phone number and physical address provided to MWCABC on the raffle ticket. Winner is responsible for all associated fees that include but may not be limited to Federal, State & Local taxes and license fees.
2) To claim the prize, winners shall be obligated to submit an affidavit of eligibility and compliance with the Official Rules of the raffle. The winner will be required to provide proof of identity and will be responsible for any taxes, fees and like charges. BECAUSE OF THE VALUE OF CERTAIN PRIZES, THE WINNER WILL BE REQUIRED TO MAKE A PAYMENT OF TAXES IN THE AMOUNT OF 25% OF THE FAIR MARKET VALUE OF THE PRIZE AT THE TIME OF ACCEPTANCE OF THE PRIZE. FURTHERMORE, WINNER MAY BE REQUIRED TO EXECUTE APPLICABLE IRS DOCUMENTATION.
3) If a winner does not respond within ten (10) business days of delivery of notice, MWCABC will make one additional attempt to notify the winner. Failure to respond within ten (10) business days of the second attempt will constitute a forfeiture of the prize and an alternative winner will be selected.
4) If following the original drawing, a winner is disqualified, become ineligible or otherwise forfeits a prize for any reason set forth in these Official Rules, MWCABC will select a new winner of the applicable prize by conducting a second random drawing from the remaining raffle tickets at a time and place determined by MWCABC, but in any event within 30 days of the determination that such previous winner is disqualified, ineligible or has forfeited. Any additional drawing (and the winner of the prize thereof) will be fully subject to these Official Rules as if it had occurred during the original drawing. The requirement to conduct an additional drawing will not change the prize amount payable to any other winner from the earlier drawing. For example, if the Grand Prize is forfeited, the additional drawing will be for the Grand Prize amount and the other winners will remain Second Prize and Third Prize winners according to the original drawing order.
4) MWCABC is not responsible for any delays or obstacles in notification due to (a) erroneous or omitted contact information provided by purchaser; (b) any outage or delay in Internet service or access; or (c) any other circumstances which may delay or prevent a winner from receiving the first or second notification.
5) Acceptance of a prize constitutes permission for MWCABC and/or their designees to use the winners’ name, address, photograph, testimonial, or other likeness and/or prize information or personal exposition (and/or any edited portion thereof) for promotional, advertising and/or publicity purposes in any media, now or hereafter known throughout the world in perpetuity, without compensation or notice to, or further consent of, the winner to the extent permitted by law.
D. Contact Us
For more information and details, please contact:
Bea Gonzlez Roth, General Counsel MWCABC, at 516-382-1940.